Saturday, July 16, 2016

TV Show - Mr. Robot - Season 2, Ep. 1 and 2

Note:  Major spoilers for the episodes of Mr. Robot.  You have been warned.

     I came a little late to the party for Mr. Robot season 1, but then I binge watched the whole season in a couple of days several months ago.  I was amazed at how well done the show was, and I thought the cast and writing were about as good as anything else on television.  So, it's safe to say that I was excited about season 2 starting up, and when they said they would be doing the first two episodes back to back, I was ecstatic.  I can honestly say that I was not disappointed.
     We start off about a month after the end of the first season, so I was a little upset that we didn't get to find out who was behind the door, but that is something I'm sure we will get to at some point throughout the season.  Elliot has gone off the grid of sorts, trying to get Mr. Robot to get out of his head, but so far, it isn't working.  Elliot has gone back to his shrink, even if she did take some convincing after what he did in the first season, and we get to see him explaining to her what is going on inside his head.  I think it is fascinating how they have set Elliot up in this episode with his father/Mr. Robot still always lingering around, waiting for his opportunity to take control so he can make Elliot finish what he started.  I wondered how they would handle this now that everyone is in on the secret, and they way they have done it so far has been pretty close to perfect.
     But the episodes aren't only about Elliot, as we get to see what the rest of the cast is up to as well, in fairly equal fashion.  We see Darlene leading the revolution in Elliot's place, of sorts.  She sets up Evil Corp. and causes them to burn about 50 million dollars in the street, which was a fun scene to see play out.  We see Angela embracing her new role at Evil Corp., and she really seems to be enjoying herself, even though she still looks a little hesitant but is still moving forward with her plans to continue to work for them.  We also get to see Gideon trying to get Elliot to help him, or he threatens to turn Elliot in for the role that he played, but before he can do so, he gets shot and killed in a bar by some random guy.  The only main character we really don't get to see is Tyrell, whom is still missing in action.  That is until the last few seconds of the second episode, when Elliot gets a phone call from Tyrell and that is it.
     We also get to see a few new characters, the most intriguing for me is Ray, played by Craig Robinson.  I'm a pretty big fan of him, and am used to seeing him in solely comedic roles, so I'm interested to see how he does in this show, which is not really very comedic, other than dark comedy some.  I'm guessing he will play a pretty big role later on in the season, but we only get to see him talking to Elliot a couple of times at a basketball court, and it turns out that he has talked to Mr. Robot at some point, because Elliot doesn't remember the conversation.
     Having watched both episodes back to back, the time just flew by.  There was limited commercial interruption when the two episodes aired, but it was way more than that.  The pacing of this show, and the delivery of the performances is so good, that the time just seems to fly by and we are left wanting more.  I feel like a lot got accomplished, but at the some time, not a whole lot happened, and it really was just laying the groundwork for the season laid out before us.  I'm super excited to see how everything plays out, because if these first two episodes are any indication of what is in store, I think it's going to be an exhilarating ride.

My rating for the two episodes is 9/10 and 9/10

No comments:

Post a Comment