Friday, April 1, 2016

TV Show - The Walking Dead - "Twice as Far" and "East"

Note:  Major spoilers for the episode of The Walking Dead, you have been warned.

     I've been a bit busy the last couple weeks, so I have gotten behind on my recaps for the shows I have been writing about, and so I have decided to do a condensed version of my recaps.  I am lumping the last two episodes together, and won't be doing the normal full recap of the episodes, but instead just give my thoughts and review of the two episodes instead.
     In the first episode, we get to see the fallout from the attack on the Saviors and it really focuses a lot on Denise.  It has always been a pretty good giveaway that when one of the not so crucial characters gets a full episode like this, that they will likely not come out of the episode, and that is exactly what happens here.  On her way back to Alexandria, with Daryl and Rosita, Denise decides to try to prove something to herself by trying to get a cooler out of a car with a walker in the drivers seat.  You would think this would be a good time to kill her off, but instead, she succeeds and gets the soda pop she wanted several episodes back.  As she goes into a speech about why she felt she needed to do what she did, she gets shot by an arrow through the eye and dies.
     We also get to see some interesting scenes between Abraham and Eugene.  This culminates in Abraham leaving Eugene to find his own way back to town, but secretly is following him in case he gets in trouble.  After Denise gets shot, we see that Dwight (the guy who stole Daryl's motorcycle) killed her with Daryl's crossbow, and has captured Eugene.  Abraham is hiding out nearby, which Eugene sees, and so he causes a distraction by biting Dwight in the crotch (which was as awkward as it happened as it was typing that sentence), and the group manages to get Dwight and his group to retreat, causing no more death of our group outside of Denise.
     I was just starting to like Denise, so I was a little upset to see her go, but I guess her story had run its course.  Not to mention, now there is no doctor at Alexandria, so this will likely cause all sorts of problems in the near future.  We also got to see that Dwight is a more important character than originally thought, even though I was sure he would show back up at some point, I just didn't think he would have such a direct impact (more on that in a bit with the next episode).
     In the next episode, Carol has up and left for, from what I can tell, no real reason other than she doesn't want to kill anymore.  Despite this fact, she comes across some Saviors on the road and very quickly and efficiently kills them all, not showing any real remorse, so the character arc seems a little strange for her right now.  I guess she is just doing it out of necessity, but the inner conflict she appears to be having is just a little strange to me.  I will wait for the rest of this to play out, but I'm sure this will have something to do with Morgan in the near future.  Likely in the season finale.
     Morgan and Rick go out looking for Carol, and they come across the destruction that Carol has left in her wake, but she is nowhere to be found.  Morgan finds some blood leaving the scene, and says it must be Carol's, so they follow the trail.  They come across a farm, and Morgan keeps Rick from killing a guy there, and they finally have a conversation that they should have had a while back now.  Morgan tells Rick about the Wolf that he was hiding after the attack, and it appears actually gets Rick to see that maybe just going around killing everyone isn't the only way, but I think the finale this coming week will just reassure Rick's thoughts. 
     Which leads me back to Morgan.  If Morgan can't convince Rick that killing isn't always the answer, than what point does he serve anymore?  Rick is going back and Morgan is continuing to go after Carol, which means that this week, the two of them will run into each other almost assuredly, and there will be no one else around.  I think that these two are finally going to get to the heart of their issues with each other, and I think only one of them comes out of the episode alive.  And for this reason, I think the first (maybe only) death of the season finale will be Morgan.
     Daryl is ticked over what happened to Denise, and blames himself since he let Dwight live earlier in the season, so he goes after them alone.  Michonne, Glenn, and Rosita go after him.  They find him in the woods trying to track the group, and they try to convince Daryl to come back, but he won't listen.  Rosita goes with him, and Glenn and Michonne start heading back.  However, they get caught by Dwight's group, and are tied up when Daryl and Rosita come across them.  Glenn sees Daryl and shakes his head, trying to warn him, but it's too late.  Dwight shows up behind Daryl, with a gun pointed at his back.  He pulls the trigger, blood splatters across the screen, and the episode ends.
     For the shock factor that they put out here, I think we can all agree that Daryl is not dead.  He's too major of a character to be dead like that, but that doesn't mean that he won't die in the finale.  I find it highly unlikely, even thought I have thought for most of this season that he would die in the finale.  The trailers for this week's finale have shown us Negan, so he will be showing up, and we currently have Glenn, Michonne, Rosita, and most likely Daryl if he is in fact alive, captured by Dwight and his group, so this will most likely be where the big showdown is going to come into play.  I think we can likely add two more people to the mix, as I'm sure Rick will coming looking for Michonne, and Abraham is likely going to come with him.
     So what is going to happen?  For anyone who knows much about the comics, a big death is coming.  This is not something that they can completely get around, and someone will have to die, but not necessarily the same character from the comics.  In fairness to those that don't know about the comics, I will not say who it is in the comics, but will instead give my thoughts on the remaining characters.
     Rick is safe.  I also think that Rosita is safe, as she doesn't pose much of a threat to Negan nor is she important enough to get the impact necessary for this scene.  Michonne is an interesting choice, as she and Rick are together, and if Negan finds out about that, it would make for a good option, but I don't think it will happen, and I don't think we are ready for Michonne's character to be gone from the show.  Daryl has already been shot and gravely wounded at least, so I think that alone makes him safe for the finale.  Why set it up the way they did just to have him killed by Negan in the finale?  Doesn't pass the smell test, so I'm saying he is safe.
     That leaves Glenn and Abraham.  Both have been set up for a potential death in my opinion, as they have both gotten some extra screen time lately.  Both are major enough characters that killing one of them off will gravely impact the group and will have an effect on the viewers.  I think either is a high possibility, but I'm going to go with Abraham.  The whole Glenn is he dead/is he not dead situation they went through halfway through the season is ultimately what keeps Glenn safe now.  I don't know why they went through all that, to bring him back for a few episodes, and then to kill him off, so I think Abraham is the one to go.  I also think there is a very real possibility that we don't find out on the finale, but instead will have to wait until the show comes back on to find the answer, so I guess we will just have to see what happens this weekend and then I will post my thoughts on the finale.

My rating for the two episodes is 7/10

No comments:

Post a Comment