Saturday, February 13, 2016

Movie - Deadpool

Note:  This review may contain spoilers, but I will try to limit them to only what is necessary.

     So, it's been a while since I have posted anything on here, but after going and watching the movie I have been anticipating for many years (back when I watched X-Men Origins: Wolverine, when I thought any chances of getting an actual good representation of Deadpool were ruined forever), I decided it was time to get back to doing it.  And so, here we go.
     Deadpool in a lot of ways works like all the other super hero movies that are out there.  This is an origin story, and there is a plot where someone close to the hero (or anti-hero in this case) gets captured, and so the main character has to use his new found powers to save the day.  But that is where the comparisons stop.  The way Deadpool gets from point A to point B is unlike any other superhero movie that has come before it, and I think that is what makes the movie stand out. 
     For those that don't already know this, Deadpool has a hard R rating, and it almost goes out of its way to make sure that it earns that badge and wears it proudly.  But the best part about this, is that it never feels forced.  I have been a huge fan of the character in the comics for years, and Ryan Reynolds, along with the writers and the director, have all made sure to stay as close to the character as possible.  Deadpool is a unique superhero, mainly because he isn't a superhero.  He has these powers, and he somewhat uses them to help people, but only when it benefits him.  This is taken to full effect many times throughout the movie, and that is a big part of what sets this apart from say Captain America or Iron Man.
     I think what makes Deadpool stand out so much more than the other typical superhero movies in the market today is how self aware it is and how it makes such good use of this self awareness to add so much humor to the movie.  Even when it tries to take itself seriously, it's only another few minutes before Ryan Reynolds is delivering one of the hundred or so one-liners to remind the audience (through the 4th wall) not to take anything too seriously.  I think the most surprising form of humor came through the use of Colossus, from the X-Men.  He plays the perfect straight man to Ryan Reynolds' Wade Wilson, most notably when they first meet and Colossus tries to recruit Deadpool into the X-Men.
     I had high expectations going into Deadpool, as I noted above that I had been waiting so long for someone to do it right, and I can honestly say that it exceeded my expectations in every way.  It was a more coherent plot than I thought it would be, the acting was spot on for all characters, the humor was as it should be, and action scenes were as high quality as we have come to expect from Marvel movies.  If I am to make one complaint, it would be that the humor might not be for everyone.  Or maybe that I will have to wait too long before Deadpool 2.  But hopefully in the meantime, we can see the Merc with the Mouth show up in one of the upcoming X-Men movies.

My rating for Deadpool is 9/10.

No comments:

Post a Comment